I Just Spit Out Bacon Has Moved!

I Just Spit Out Bacon has moved!
You will be automatically redirected to ijustspitoutbacon.com in 5 seconds!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Meet Celia, Our Newest Guest Blogger!


Hi! I'm Celia! I've known Devon since freshman year of college. By senior year, my husband, then boyfriend, liked to refer to him as our first born. Some of you may know me from http://eatscreamcry.blogspot.com/. I like to think I assisted, just a little, in Devon's decision to go vegetarian after his visit to the East Coast last summer. I decided to go Vegan last April. After years of unexplained stomach issues, bloating and swollen intestines, endless tests were run, with no solution. I was told to cut out dairy and gluten. Both helped, but not all my symptoms disappeared. So I went in search of my own solution.
I decided I needed to change the way I ate, after all we are what we eat. This was a huge undertaking considering there was always some form of meat in every meal I ate. Protein is important, and at the time I wasn't sure where else to get it. After several books and endless websites, I made the switch. At the time, and still currently, we were going through IVF with one failed attempt after being 9 weeks along.  For me, being vegan has more to do with being healthy than saving the planet, although that's a definite perk. I dropped 30lbs when I went vegan, amped up my energy level and am now working out at least 3-5 times a week. It has become my way of life. Although I will admit, on occasion I have given into the beckoning of goat cheese, cause let's face it, how can you live without goat cheese?
So here I am, almost a year later patting myself on the back for making (one of) the best decisions of my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm still passionate about food, just in a different way. I focus on what I need to eat, and what I want to eat and try to find the happy median. Cooking vegan is different from cooking vegetarian. Being cautious about dairy is harder than one would think, but becomes easier over time. Dairy is hidden in just about everything, along with gluten. I try my hardest not to eat either, because for some reason I can't digest them. One would think this leaves alot to be desired. And on top of all that, I don't like salad. So what do I eat? Vegetables, fruits, grains, spices, oils, and if I eat gluten, it is whole grain.

Just recently my sister-in-law turned me on to spaghetti squash, which is my new saving grace. The recipe below is quick and easy, and really anyone can make it. If you're just exploring veggie/vegan, this is the perfect starter dish. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Bon appetit!

Marinara Vegetables Over Spaghetti Squash
 
  • 1 Small Zucchini
  • 1 Small Summer Squash
  • 1/2 Sweet Onion
  • 4-5 Whole White Mushrooms
  • 1/2 Red Peeper
  • 1/2 Yellow Pepper
  • 10 Asparagus Stalks
  • 1/2 Head of Broccoli
  • 3 cloves fresh garlic
  • 1tbs parsley
  • 1tbs turmeric
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 jar Newman's Organic Tomato Basil Sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice spaghetti squash in half or quarters. Scoop out the guts and toss out. Spray a cooking sheet with olive oil/Pam lightly. Lay squash rind side up. Bake for 30-35 minutes
  2. Chop up remaining vegetables into chunks. Leave them about 1" in size. Set aside.
  3. Heat up large skillet or wok on medium heat. Coat with the olive oil, dump in the spices and garlic. Let heat to a bubble. 
  4. Add vegetables, stirring continuously for about 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked thoroughly. Stir in sauce, let simmer for 5 minutes, set aside.
  5. Spaghetti squash looks just like spaghetti when done, hence the name. Use a fork and drag across the inside of the squash. Strands will begin to loosen. Scoop all strands out. 
  6. Place about a cup of squash on your plate, cover with vegetables and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment